Thursday 22 November 2012

Keys of Heaven


York Minster is also known as St Peter's, its full name being the 'Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St Peter in York'.  The keys of St Peter can easily be found within the Minster as here on an entrance gate to a private chapel.
Keys can also be found all around the city, the pub opposite the Minster is what else but the Crossed Keys. An area of the mediaeval city was known as The Liberty of St Peter and governed by the Dean & Chapter rather than the Lord Mayor. Many buildings still have keys carved or painted on them if you look carefully.

4 comments:

  1. it is always interesting to see a running theme throughout the city 'signs'

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could be an interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this bit of interesting information. I guess that also explains the keys in the beautiful patterns on the Chapter House floor. I took photos when I was there in 2009 and knew they had to be the Keys of St Peter, but did not know the connection to the cathedrals full name. I suppose we were told that but I must have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo is so pretty. I love the whole idea of the keys.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...