Monday 24 September 2012

The Bridge at Stamford


This is the the modern bridge across the river Derwent at a village called Stamford Bridge. A natural outcrop of sandstone provided a crossing ford here for Roman soldiers, and by 1066 there was a wooden bridge. On Sept 20th 1066 Harold Hardrada and his Viking soldiers had been victorious in battle at Gate Fulford and the gates of York were forced open. The city had no option but to take an oath recognising Hardrada as their king. To ensure the city stayed loyal to him Hardrada demanded hostages, 150 sons of the cities wealthiest families. Hostages were to be exchanged on Sept 25th at the crossroads near Stamford Bridge.
Come back tomorrow to find out what happened next!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be back! I was thinking that was a Roman bridge at first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, you know how to keep us dangling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like this shot Deb - it beckons one to explore further! Nice composition and I admire your historical research. (Thanks for dropping by my blog). Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...