Monday 16 January 2012

Windows and Doors


I took this picture as I was leaving the church. The shape of the glass in the door mirrored the window, and I liked the contrast between the stained glass figures in the window and the real figures on the busy street. 
I later discovered the glass in this window is the oldest in the church dating from the  fourteenth, fifteenth and sixteenth centurys. Three of the main figures are thought to be St William, the Virgin Mary as Queen of Heaven and St Helen. Opinion is divided on the identity of the kingly figure on the right, some suggest Edward the Confessor, others that it is Helen's son, the Emperor Constantine.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe its me but this seems unusual to have a window above the door like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree Paul, almost makes you wonder what is suporting the window.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. All comments are read, and I will try to answer any blog related questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...